Memphis Car Accident Lawyers
Fighting for the Injured Statewide
Each year in Tennessee, over 400,000 people are injured and more than 900 are killed in motor vehicle accidents statewide. Texting and driving and other distractions behind the wheel are a major cause of crashes—225,622 wrecks were caused by distracted drivers between 2010 and 2020. Alcohol use contributed to 74,500 crashes during roughly the same time period.
If you have been injured in a car accident caused by the negligent or reckless conduct of another motorist in Tennessee, you have the right to pursue compensation to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other accident-related damages. Dunk Law Firm can help you receive the just compensation you deserve. Our Memphis car accident attorneys are local, experienced, and dedicated to securing the recovery our injured clients need.
Want to learn more about how we can help you? Give us a call at (901) 231-4779 or submit an online contact form to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with an attorney.
Determining Car Accident Liability
Tennessee is a traditional fault state when it comes to auto accident liability, meaning you must file any insurance and personal injury claims against the at-fault driver’s carrier. Therefore, if you choose to file a car accident claim for damages, you must be able to prove who caused the accident in order to receive compensation. If fault is unclear, your car accident attorney can investigate the scene of the crash and collect evidence to determine who is legally liable for your damages.
The Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
Determining exactly what caused your car accident is a key component of your claim considering fault is so important. Some of the most common causes of car wrecks in Tennessee include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Drowsy driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Inexperienced drivers
- Poor road design
- Poorly managed road construction
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Traffic law violations
- Unsafe passing
- Vehicle defects
All the above actions are caused by human error, which is indicative of negligence in a car accident claim. If such negligence leads to you or someone you love being injured or killed, you have the right to take legal action.
Steps to Take If You Are Involved in a Car Accident in Memphis
Following any car accident, even a minor fender bender with no perceptible injuries, there are certain important steps everyone involved should take in order to protect their health as well as the success of a potential claim. Otherwise, you could be facing a long a difficult recovery because you refused to see a doctor; or you might lose out on receiving compensation because you forgot to save a copy of an important receipt.
If you find yourself in a car crash in Tennessee, take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Seek medical attention for your injuries: Call an ambulance if you are or anyone involved in the crash is seriously injured. Otherwise, wait to see a doctor until after you leave the crash scene. Make sure you go even if you feel fine, as internal injuries can be hard to detect at first. If you don’t see a doctor after your accident, the insurance company may try to use this as proof that you weren’t actually injured or that your injuries aren’t serious enough to warrant compensation.
- Document the accident scene as thoroughly as possible: Take pictures of all property damage and injuries, write down what you can remember about how the accident happened, and exchange contact information with any involved motorists and nearby witnesses.
- File an accident report with the police: The police will interview any drivers involved in the crash as well as witnesses in order to conduct their own investigation into the crash. This investigation can act as evidence to support your claim.
- Follow all of your doctor’s orders regarding your recovery: Head to the doctor if you haven’t already and follow any orders they give regarding treatment. Otherwise, the insurance company can use your disregard of your doctor’s orders to discredit your claim.
- Obtain copies of your medical records from your doctor: In fact, save copies of any documentation related to your accident, including medical bills, receipts related to car repairs, and a copy of the police report.
- Inform your insurance company of the accident—but don’t sign anything: Let your insurance carrier know what happened, but don’t agree to any settlements without talking to a car accident lawyer in Memphis first. Insurance companies tend to only look out for their bottom line, so the initial offer will likely be much less than you need or deserve.
- Don’t talk to the other side’s insurance company: As soon as a car accident occurs, any insurance carriers involved will start to build cases against each other’s clients. This means that even if you didn’t cause the accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will try to make it look like you did. They will use anything you say to strengthen their case against you, so make sure you don’t give any written or vocal statements to any insurance agents until consulting with an attorney. If an insurance agent calls you, give them your lawyer’s contact information and then hang up.
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney in Memphis: Schedule a free consultation with a lawyer to learn about your rights and what you should do next. If you choose to take legal action, an experienced car accident lawyer will assist with the claims process and negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
Let Us Fight for the Recovery You Deserve
At Dunk Law Firm, our Memphis car accident attorneys are committed to helping car accident victims fight for the maximum compensation they are rightfully owed. You have already endured enough pain and suffering—let us assist you with the legal process so you can focus on your recovery. Our legal team genuinely cares about our clients and their futures, so we stand ready to aggressively advocate for you.
Don’t wait to get the help you deserve. Reach out to our firm for a free consultation at (901) 231-4779 or contact us online.
Extensive & Detailed Jury Research
Track Record Of Success
Personalized Attention & Care
Millions Recovered For Our Clients