Memphis Rear-End Accident Lawyers
Fighting for the Fair & Just Compensation You Deserve
Rear-end collisions are one of the most common car crash types in the United States. In 2015, The Washington Post reported that there are about 1.7 million rear-end collisions on U.S. roads each year. While many of these accidents are minor and lead to little or no injuries or property damage, rear-end collisions should not be taken lightly. In 2017, rear-end crashes accounted for 7.2% of all motor vehicle accident fatalities nationwide—that was 2,456 lives lost that year.
If you or a loved one was rear-ended by a distracted or negligent driver in Tennessee, our Memphis rear-end accident attorneys will fight to obtain the fair and just compensation you deserve. At Dunk Law Firm, our legal team has nearly two decades of experience—as well as a proven record of success—in all types of car accident claims. We are available to help you secure compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Contact our firm at (901) 231-4779 or contact us online to get started with a free and confidential consultation.
Common Rear-End Accident Injuries
When a motor vehicle crashes into one in front of it that is moving at a slower pace or has come to a complete stop, the force of the impact can cause passengers in both vehicles to sustain serious, debilitating injuries. The severity of such injuries tends to increase with the speed at which the crash occurred.
Rear-end accidents commonly cause the following injuries:
- Broken bones
- Bruises and scrapes
- Head and facial trauma
- Neck and back injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Sprains and strains
- Traumatic brain injuries
Serious rear-end accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries, which are long term debilitating injuries that typically call for lifelong treatment and care. Catastrophic injuries often require intensive medical attention, ongoing rehabilitation, specialized medical equipment or medications, and time taken off work during recovery (or for good), all of which can cause significant financial—and mental—strain.
Examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Internal injuries
- Loss of limb
- Loss of sight, hearing, or other senses
- Severe traumatic brain injuries
If you or a loved one have suffered from a catastrophic injury, it is vital that you seek legal representation. You and your family are going to need all the compensation you can get in order to support your loved one’s catastrophic injury, yet insurance companies often offer less than you deserve to protect their bottom line. At Dunk Law Firm, our rear-end accident attorneys in Memphis will build you a case aimed at recovering all of the compensation you are owed, so you can support yourself now and for the rest of your life.
Common Causes of Rear-end Accidents
Just like any car crash, a rear-end collision can transpire due to numerous factors, from bad weather to reckless driving. While it is impossible to prevent every potential accident, fortunately, you can protect yourself from many rear-end crashes by increasing your following distance behind other vehicles on the road and by letting tailgaters pass you when it is safe to do so.
Many factors contribute to rear-end collisions in Tennessee, such as:
- Distracted driving: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), taking your eyes off the road to look at a text message for approximately five seconds while traveling at 55 miles per hour is the equivalent of driving across an entire football field blind. Distracted driving—especially texting and driving—is a major cause of all car crashes in the U.S. and a leading factor in rear-end crashes.
- Driver error: Sometimes rear-end collisions are caused by simple human error. For example, an inexperienced driver may misjudge how much time they have to come to a complete stop at a red light, causing them to hit the brakes too late and slam into the car stopped in front of them.
- Not obeying traffic laws: Ignoring traffic laws is another major cause of rear-end crashes, especially when it comes to driving over the speed limit.
- Poor weather conditions: Snow, ice, and rain can all make it difficult to control your vehicle, which often leads to rear-end accidents.
- Tailgating: Following too closely behind the vehicle in front of you greatly decreases your reaction time, meaning you may not be able to avoid a collision if the car you are following suddenly slows down or stops.
- Vehicle defects: Faulty brakes and other mechanical defects and malfunctions can make it impossible for a driver to slow down or stop in time to avoid a crash.
Who Is Liable for Rear-End Collisions?
You may think that the person in the rear-most vehicle is always automatically responsible for any rear-end crash. However, there are circumstances in which the motorist driving the front vehicle can be held partially or even totally at fault for a crash.
For example, if the front vehicle has missing or broken taillights, the driver of the rear vehicle might not realize that the front vehicle is slowing down or stopping, causing them to collide. Another example would be if a motorist backed out of their driveway without first looking behind them, causing them to hit a vehicle.
Because rear-end collisions are not always as simple or straightforward as they seem, it is crucial that you work with a qualified and experienced Memphis rear-end accident attorney near you who understands how to determine liability. At Dunk Law Firm, our rear-end accident lawyers in Memphis have many years of experience with such cases and can investigate the crash scene and collect evidence that will hold the responsible party liable for damages such as your medical bills and pain and suffering. We are not afraid of going up against major insurance providers and taking your case to court if needed. All we are concerned with is maximizing your recovery to help make up for the pain and stress you have suffered due to someone else’s negligence.
Call Dunk Law Firm at (901) 231-4779 to schedule your free, no-obligation case evaluation today.
Extensive & Detailed Jury Research
Track Record Of Success
Personalized Attention & Care
Millions Recovered For Our Clients