Memphis Jackknife Accident Lawyers
Aiding Clients After Serious Truck Accidents
Any accident involving a large truck such as a tractor-trailer has the potential to inflict serious damage and injuries to those involved thanks to their weight and size. There are a variety of truck accident types, but the jackknife accident is known as one of the deadliest. If you or a loved one has been involved in one of these accidents, you’re likely dealing with the aftermath of severe injuries, trauma, and maybe even death. The costs of treating injuries when combined with lost wages and property damage can add up to a large sum that you can’t afford to pay, but when you call Dunk Law Firm, you can trust our jackknife accident lawyers in Memphis to pursue the maximum amount of compensation available to you by filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim. If a truck driver or some other negligent party is responsible for your accident and injuries, we can hold them responsible.
Call us at (901) 231-4779 for a free consultation regarding your injuries, or fill out our online form. Our attorneys don’t see you as another case – to us, you’re a human who deserves support.
What is Jackknifing?
Jackknifing refers to a truck accident that occurs when the trailer section of the truck swings out to the side to form a 90-degree angle from the cab. As a result, the truck folds in on itself and resembles a pocketknife that has folded into its handle. Nearly five percent of all truck accidents are jackknife accidents.
When these accidents occur, the truck often takes down other nearby vehicles on the road and can block off entire sections of the street or highway, causing traffic and potentially more related collisions like rear-end accidents. Because commercial trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds and carry heavy cargo in their trailers, the injuries that occur in these accidents are typically catastrophic.
In many truck accidents, the drivers and passengers of other involved vehicles suffer the most serious injuries, which can include:
- Broken or shattered bones
- Serious burn injuries
- Neck or back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Head and brain injuries such as coma, TBIs, concussions, and more
- Loss of senses such as sight, sound, and hearing
How Jackknife Accidents Occur
Jackknife accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, though it’s important to know that most motor vehicle accidents are caused by human error. Though hazardous conditions such as rain or slippery roads can contribute to accidents, it’s still the driver’s responsibility to navigate the roads safely.
Some of the most common circumstances that lead to jackknife accidents involving trucks include:
- Speeding: Any vehicle that drives above the speed limit reduce their response time, meaning they will have less time to brake or swerve to avoid a road hazard such as a stalled car or animal. Though cars can brake hard, it can be extremely dangerous for truck drivers to slam on their brakes when they’re going at speeds above 55 miles per hour. In these cases, it’s more than likely that the trailer the driver is pulling will swing out and cause damage.
- Sharp turns or curves: Jackknifing is a possibility when trucks make sharp turns or have difficulty navigating curves I the road. The steeper the angle of the curve, the higher the risk that the trailer of a truck will swing out and cause the truck to fold in on itself. Truck drivers must practice caution when making turns or driving around curves, which is why many commercial companies have to train their drivers and require them to have a special license.
- Equipment malfunction: There are some cases in which the truck driver or company isn’t responsible for accidents that occur. Sometimes a vehicle malfunction can cause a truck to lose control and jackknife. Some examples of defective parts include brake failure and hydraulic failure.
Why Should I Hire an Attorney?
Truck accident cases are often complex because there are multiple parties involved, including the truck driver, their company, and the company’s lawyers. Determining liability is already difficult but going up against a major commercial company can be especially daunting. Our attorneys aren’t afraid to face corporations and their insurance companies if it means we have a chance of recovering damages for our clients. Our team has demonstrated success in regaining compensation for expenses like medical bills, lost wages and diminished earning capacity, and more. Having recovered millions, we can be trusted to help you strengthen your claim.
Truck accidents can result in severe injuries and damages. Get the compensation you need today by calling our Memphis jackknife accident lawyers for a free consultation at (901) 231-4779.
Extensive & Detailed Jury Research
Track Record Of Success
Personalized Attention & Care
Millions Recovered For Our Clients