Milwaukee Rollover Accident Attorneys
Seeking Maximum Compensation for You & Your Family
Rollover accidents tend to be some of the most serious and life-threatening of all car accidents. When a vehicle rolls over, its occupants are at risk of suffering devastating injuries caused by crushed roofs and doors, shattered glass, and unsecured objects moving around the inside of the vehicle. Victims often suffer severe spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries, as well as other life-altering injuries, due to the violence of these types of accidents.
At Dunk Law Firm, we truly care about helping victims of serious auto accidents recover and move forward with their lives. We understand the immense challenges associated with these types of accidents and the resulting injuries, often including extensive medical treatment and lifelong care. Our goal is to help you recover all of the compensation you are owed so that you can simply focus on getting the treatment you need and healing.
On This Page:
- Common Causes of Rollover Accidents
- What To Do If Your Car Flips Over
- Preventing Rollover Accidents
- How Dunk Law Firm Can Help
- Get a Free Consultation Today!
- Related Reading
Generally speaking, rollover accidents are most commonly caused when the driver loses control of the vehicle. This may occur for a variety of reasons, some due to driver error and others due to outside factors. Statistically, excessive speeding and drunk driving are some of the most common causes of vehicle rollovers; driving at safe speeds, obeying posted speed limits, and never driving when under the influence of alcohol (or drugs) are some of the best ways to protect yourself and others.
Other common causes of rollover accidents are entirely out of the driver’s control. These include:
- Vehicle Defects: SUVs are more likely to roll over due to their high center of gravity. However, when any vehicle is particularly prone to rolling over, it may have a defective design. In such cases, the entity responsible for creating the design of the vehicle may be held liable. In other instances, a defective auto part, such as a tire or brake pads, may be faulty. Depending on the type of defect, the manufacturer, distributor, or some other party involved in the production of that car part could be liable.
- Tripping: “Tripping” occurs when a vehicle’s tire strikes or “clips” a small object in the roadway, causing the vehicle to pitch forward or to the side. When the normal forward motion of the vehicle is disrupted, it increases the risk of a rollover accident. Anything from a large rock to a soft shoulder to an unseen curb can all lead to tripping.
- Unsafe Road Conditions: Poor road construction, hazardous weather conditions, and unmarked curves can all lead to rollover accidents. While no one can be blamed for bad weather, construction companies and other entities may be liable if they failed to post lowered speed limit signs for curves, failed to construct safe shoulders, or failed to post signage warning of upcoming construction zones.
- Side-Impact Crashes: When vehicles are struck from the side, they can easily roll over, especially when the striking vehicle is traveling at a high rate of speed or when the vehicle that is struck has a high center of gravity. This is common in accidents involving unprotected left turns, multiple vehicles, and careless or reckless drivers.
If you are ever involved in a rollover accident, you should take the following steps:
- Brace yourself by crossing your arms across your chest in the shape of an "X" and pressing back into your seat
- If you are in a car with a low ceiling, duck your head slightly so that if the roof collapses it doesn't reach your head
- Avoid bending over because the airbag deploying can cause serious damage to your neck
- After the car comes to a stop, stay calm, and remember to breathe
- Turn off the vehicle if you are able to do so without injuring yourself further; this can help prevent the car from catching fire
- Check yourself and others for serious injuries that may prevent you from exiting the vehicle; if someone is seriously hurt, do not move them until emergency responders arrive
- If you are able to move without causing further injury, exit the car carefully and take care to avoid any shattered glass or sharp metal
- Watch for traffic while getting out of the vehicle, especially if you have come to rest anywhere on the road
- Call 911 as soon as possible; if there were any witnesses to your accident they will have hopefully already alerted emergency services
There are several simple steps you can take to help avoid an accident where you car flips or rolls over:
- Avoid overloading your car, particularly SUVs and trucks
- Keep heavy cargo as low to the floor as possible to avoid making your vehicle top-heavy
- Make sure your car has not been put on any recall lists for rollover hazards
- Keep your tires well-maintained and make sure they don't get too worn down
- Use caution when going around corners
- Don't drink and drive, and avoid distractions while driving
Regardless of the cause of the accident, it’s important that you seek proper medical care for your injuries. Even if you are worried about paying for this treatment, do not delay seeing a doctor. Not only is this important for your overall well-being, but it can also be important to your future car accident case. Showing that you were injured—and having the medical records to back this up—could be a crucial element of your claim.
Here at Dunk Law Firm, our rollover accident lawyers in Milwaukee are here to provide you with the sound legal guidance and dedicated advocacy you need. We offer free initial consultations and contingency fees, so there are no out-of-pocket expenses for you when you work with our team; instead, our attorneys only collect fees if and when they win compensation for you.
We understand that this is a stressful time for you and your family. Our goal is to ease some of this stress by handling all of the legal aspects of your situation and working to recover the maximum compensation you are owed so that you don’t have to worry about how you’re going to pay your medical bills, deal with being out of work, and get back on your feet.
If you have lost a loved one in a rollover accident, you don't have to face this difficult time on your own. Our team of wrongful death lawyers will fight to obtain justice for you and your family.
Extensive & Detailed Jury Research
Track Record Of Success
Personalized Attention & Care
Millions Recovered For Our Clients