Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Fighting for the Rights of Injured Pedestrians
When most people think of automobile accidents, they usually do not consider people walking on foot. But a pedestrian accident attorney will tell you that common collisions do not only involve two or more cars.
A fair portion of auto accidents only involve one driver. Further, these types of accidents can frequently cause significant damage and horrible injuries. This is particularly accurate when the collision involves a pedestrian.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, the pedestrian accident attorneys at Dunk Law Firm realize that you are experiencing a challenging time. Medical bills are mounting, you're off of work, and you're hurt and in pain. Also, you may be getting phone calls from an auto insurance company and you don't know what to do.
The good news is that we are here to help. The attorneys at Dunk Law Firm have been taking on pedestrian accident cases for several years with great success. If you have a case, we are prepared and willing to fight for you.
What Are Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Motorists have a duty of care while driving their vehicles that includes more than just other cars. Drivers must also keep a lookout for the more vulnerable people on the roads, such as motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
If a motorist does not pay close enough attention-- or their driving is impaired for any other reason-- they can seriously injure or kill a pedestrian accidentally.
In order to fully comprehend how serious pedestrian accidents are and how to avoid them, we also need to know what leads to pedestrian accidents.
Some leading causes of accidents involving pedestrians include:
- Turning and merging accidents
- Exiting a parking lot or driveway
- Failure to yield
- Bad weather
- Delivery truck accidents
- Loading and unloading bus and rail travelers
- Distracted driving
How Can I Avoid Pedestrian Accidents?
Although it is impossible to account for the actions of those around you, there are many things you can do to help avoid becoming the victim of a pedestrian accident.
Here are a number of safety measures to take to avoid getting hit by a vehicle as a pedestrian:
- Cross the street in designated crosswalks
- Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right
- At stop light intersections, only cross when you have a walk signal
- When crossing the street, be defensive and assume the motorist doesn't see you
- Try to make eye contact with the driver to make sure that you know for sure that they see you
- Never cross midblock, particularly when traveling on busy urban streets or streets with multiple lanes
- Walk on sidewalks whenever they are available
- Remain alert at all times. Try to limit distractions on your phone
- Just use one earbud at a time so you don't lose all sense of hearing
- Do not try to beat traffic. If you think that you need to run or speed up, you are cutting it too close
- Wear bright and reflective apparel at night
- Watch for vehicles entering or leaving driveways and parking garages or backing up in parking lots
What Should I Do If I'm Injured in a Pedestrian Accident?
Knowing what to do after you are hit by a car while walking is necessary to make sure that you can preserve your rights and legal options in case you are seriously injured or have other damages.
- Call the authorities and make a report
- Take down witness information at the scene
- Take photos and video of the accident scene
- Gather as much of your own evidence as possible, including names, police reports, and so on
- Seek medical attention right away
- Call a pedestrian accident lawyer
- Don't speak to an auto insurance company until you've had a meeting with an attorney
As a growing number of people turn to either public transportation or walking as an alternative to travelling by car, more pedestrians end up on the public roads. This is especially true in metropolitan locations, where individuals commonly walk from bus stops, "L" stops, or rail stations to their homes or places of employment.
Too often, pedestrians are hit by motorists that are too distracted to see them crossing the street or walking behind a car. And when this occurs, it will be the pedestrian, not the motorist, that pays the price.
The pedestrian injury lawyers at Dunk Law Firm have extensive experience working with those who are injured in this type of accident. We can pursue a personal injury claim on your behalf, or a wrongful death case on behalf of a loved one that has been killed in a pedestrian accident.
What Kinds of Compensation Can I Receive If I Succeed in a Pedestrian Accident Case?
If you achieve a settlement or the court rules in your favor, you can receive compensation for losses related to your pedestrian accident and injuries, including:
- Medical treatment costs
- Lost income
- Estimated future medical treatment expenses
- Estimated future lost wages
- Physical pain and suffering
- Psychological pain and suffering
- Decreased quality of life
- And more
A pedestrian accident is a life-altering event when victims suffer serious injuries. Consult with a knowledgeable pedestrian accident attorney today that can help you get the compensation you are entitled to.
Contact the Pedestrian Accident Attorneys at Dunk Law Firm
If you or someone close to you has suffered an accident as a pedestrian, contact our firm for a free, no-obligation consultation. These can be very challenging cases, and hiring a law firm knowledgeable about the issues associated with pedestrian accidents is your best option for getting the compensation you are entitled to.
Our pedestrian accident lawyers have a proven history of success in litigating personal injury and wrongful death cases on behalf of individuals and families coping with the tragedy of a serious or fatal accident.
your fight is our fightcontact us now
Frequently Asked Questions
What Questions Should I Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?
How Much Are Lawyer Fees for Personal Injury?
What Is Fair Compensation for Personal Injury?