Uninsured & Underinsured Drivers

Return Home
Reach Our Firm Today
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims Attorneys

What to Do If You Are Hit by Someone with Insufficient Insurance Coverage

In most states, all licensed drivers are required to purchase minimum liability insurance. Despite these laws, however, many motorists make the choice to unlawfully drive without auto insurance. In other cases, when a motorist only has the state’s minimum required liability coverage, this may be insufficient to cover injured accident victims’ costs. So, what can you do if you were hit by someone without any insurance or someone who only has minimum liability coverage? What if you were injured in a hit and run? Depending on your particular situation, you could be covered by uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) insurance.

At Dunk Law Firm, our uninsured/underinsured motorist claims lawyers can help you understand your options and, if appropriate, can assist you in filing your UM/UIM claim. The process is different depending on where you live, where the crash happened, and a number of other factors. It’s important that you reach out to an attorney who understands the laws in your area, as well as how the UM/UIM process works in your state.

We serve clients in Wisconsin, Texas, and throughout the United States. Our attorneys offer legal services in English and Spanish and are ready to answer any questions you may have.

Give us a call at (800) 674-9339 or contact us online to request a free initial consultation today.

What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage is a type of auto insurance that covers policyholders in the event that they are in an accident with someone who doesn’t have any auto insurance. Normally, after an accident, the injured party can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company; the insurance company is the one who pays out a successful claim. However, if there is no insurance company, the injured party could be out of luck in terms of recovering compensation unless they have UM coverage.

UM coverage is mandatory in some states and elective in others. Depending on where you live, you might already have UM coverage included in your auto insurance policy. If this is the case, you can file a claim with your own insurance provider after an accident, regardless of fault, and recover compensation up to limited amounts through your UM coverage.

Typically, UM coverage is capped at certain amounts for bodily injury and/or property damage. An attorney at our firm can help you determine if you have UM coverage as part of your auto insurance policy and, if so, what coverage you are entitled to receive.

How Underinsured Motorist Coverage Works

In contrast to UM coverage, underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage is meant to make up the difference in coverage when the at-fault driver’s minimum liability insurance does not cover the full cost of your damages.

For example, in the state of Wisconsin, motorists are only required to purchase minimum liability insurance up to $25,000 in bodily injury per person/$50,000 in bodily injury per accident and up to $10,000 in property damage. If you are hit by a negligent driver who only has minimum liability coverage, you can only recover up to $25,000 for your injuries through their insurance company. However, say you suffer a serious spinal cord injury that ends up costing you $50,000 in medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. By turning to your own UIM coverage, you can recover an additional $25,000 to make up the gap between the at-fault driver’s coverage limits and your damages.

UIM coverage is rarely compulsory; in most cases, if you haven’t elected to add this type of coverage to your auto insurance policy, you are not covered for damages that extend beyond the other driver’s policy limits.

Put Over 16 Years of Legal Experience on Your Side

Navigating the aftermath of any car or motor vehicle accident can be a stressful, overwhelming process. Dunk Law Firm is here to help you with all of the legal aspects of filing a UM/UIM claim so that you can focus your energy on healing and moving forward. Our uninsured/underinsured motorist accident lawyers are always available to take your call and discuss your questions and concerns. We truly care about helping you get back on your feet and are ready to do everything we can to assist you in getting the compensation you need.

Contact for a free consultation

your fight is our fight

contact us now

Frequently Asked Questions

What Questions Should I Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?

How Much Are Lawyer Fees for Personal Injury?

What Is Fair Compensation for Personal Injury?

Contact the dunk law firm today!

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Houston Office

717 Franklin St
Houston, TX 77002

(713) 575-1991

Memphis Office

149 Monroe Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103

(901) 231-4779

Milwaukee Office

777 Jefferson Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202

(713) 575-1991